Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Headlines

This morning, I was sipping a cup of tea (my attempt to keep warm without cranking the heat) while glancing through my twitter feed. I saw a tweet about a 10 month old baby who was missing from her crib. My stomach knotted up. Is that not a parent's worst nightmare? You go to check on your sleeping baby to find an empty crib?

Immediately, I needed to know more about this story, about this baby, about this tragedy. I quickly opened my browser and went to cnn.com. I scanned the headlines looking for a story about a missing baby. Instead I found this:
  • Glue mistaken for eye drops
  • Cocaine washes up on beach
  • Woman attacked by crow
  • Bear attacks couple in home
  • Girl hit by car, driver beaten
  • Deployed Marine to get root beer
  • Daycare loses 18 month old

These were the headlines under US News this morning. Is that not simply depressing?

Now, let me tell you about something positive you can do!

Thanks to those of you who read my post on the Girl Effect. A few of you sent messages asking about ways you can help, wondering what you can do to get involved.

In Half the Sky, they list four steps you can take in the next ten minutes. They are:


  1. Go to www.globalgiving.org or www.kiva.org to open an account. Both sites are people to epople, meaining they link you directly to a person in need overseas, and this makes them an excellent way to dip your toe in.

  2. Sponsor a girl or a woman through Plan International, Women for Women, World Vision, or American Jewish Service.

  3. Sign up for email updates on www.womensenews.org or www.worldpulse.com. Both distribute info about abuses of womena nd sometimes can advise on actions that readers can take.

  4. Join the CARE Action Network at www.can.care.org.


I hope that helps. I would love to hear any updates on steps taken from any of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment