Friday, August 19, 2011

The Hospital



I love this video. I love the genuine smile on Ellery's face and I love the ever so slightly creepy carousel music in the background. I love that we had the opportunity to create this memory.

One of the last days we were in Southampton, I took the baby for an afternoon walk. I think it was around 5pm. My mom was making dinner and thus I had no evening obligations. The baby was a little fussy and a walk always seems to appease her. So, I plopped her in the stroller and walked around the block. It was refreshing - it was just what we both needed.

I was reminded of just how fortunate I am, how fortunate we are. What a view!


A few nights before....this was my view. It was devastatingly sad to see my sweet baby in pain and then drugged up and listless. A few of you have asked for more details of what happened to sweet Ellery in Southampton. The short story is that we took her to the ER for severe stomach pains. Two different doctors at two different ERs thought she had appendicitis. After seeing a pediatric surgeon and getting an ultra sound, they determined she didn't. It made for a long night but it was the BEST outcome we could have hoped for.

I was thankful for access to great doctors and fabulous medical facilities. I was thankful that even if it had been an appendicitis - that was something that could be treated. There were quite a few other patients in the ER whose prognosis was certainly not as good.

Any of you who have spent time in hospital know HOW COLD it is. Alan and I rushed to the ER at 2am, throwing on clothes and slipping on flip flops.

I love these shots of Alan tucking his feet into Ellery's sheets, trying desperately to warm his toes!

I will take the long night and cold room anytime my child gets to walk out feeling tired but oh so much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment