Monday, May 23, 2011

If you don't do the work, you don't get the prize!

At first I wasn't really sure where to start this post. A lot has been happening here these last few weeks. Some good and some sort of tough. I wondered if this is the right forum to share some of those hard things? Then I thought that maybe this really is a place where I can share and focus on the positive things happening -- because to be sure there are LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS. But, I wondered, if I only share and show the good stuff does that diminish the other things? Are you following this because I think I lost myself a few sentences back.

So, I started this post and stopped. I came back to it and started it again and still I wasn't sure what to write. And, I'm still not sure.

IMG_6919

Last week, Vaughan's class had a performance of the Little Red Hen. For days Vaughan was talking to her dolls saying, "If you don't do the work, you don't get the prize." You know, the funny thing about these children's stories...the lessons are true and they are applicable to us all.

IMG_6977

We also had a ballet recital this week. This was Vaughan's first year taking ballet and I really didn't know what to expect. It was adorable. Is there anything cuter than 3/4 year olds on stage in ballerina costumes? I giggled so hard I had tears streaming down my face.

IMG_6971

The girls had a blast and it made for a very entertaining hour.

IMG_6989


We are embracing the beginning of summer - looking forward to hours at the pool, picnics, and fun with friends We have been grilling out, eating outside, and relishing in the late setting sun. I love the sweaty heads from hard play outdoors, the smell of sunscreen and the sticky popscicle covered fingers. This is what life is about.

Life is also about the hard stuff. Vaughan is so inquisitive lately - asking a lot of questions about what happens when we die. She is worried, afraid of what she has a hard time understanding. I explain gently what I believe. I explain the circle of life. I explain about faith and love and hope. And as I explain these things, I remind myself to focus on what means the most.

Ian we sure will miss you.

IMG_0110

No comments:

Post a Comment