Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reflections

IMG_6685

Work, school play for Vaughan, home, lunch, work, swim team, lemonade stand, dinner.....bed!

It was a busy, busy day - but aren't they all? Alan had a work dinner tonight. He stopped home to help me with the kids before he met his colleagues. As he was standing at the sink doing dishes I heard him say, "Five years ago today." How had I forgotten?

Five years ago today, Alan's mother passed away. It was sudden, unexpected, a complete and total shock. What ensued were a difficult couple of months. Losing a parent is not easy. My sweet husband had already lost his father. Five years later, I realized, I had no idea how Alan felt. Did he still feel a sense of loss? Was he reflecting on the positive memories he has of his mother? Was he reliving this day five year earlier? I didn't know, so I asked.

I asked how he felt. I asked if he felt the same way on the anniversary of his father's death. And then, with a furrowed brow he had to leave for his dinner.

So, we finished up dinner. I put the baby to bed and then it was time for the big girls to go to bed. I read a story and we said our prayers. I thanked God for these little angels I am raising. I reminded myself to stop in the spinning, to stop in the madness of the day, to stop and reflect and remember and appreciate. This is what I was meant to do. These girls teach me more every day than any books I have read, than any classes I have taken. These girls teach me to laugh...at myself. These girls teach me patience. These girls teach me to use my imagination. These girls teach me to love. And I know Nana is taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment