Sunday, August 1, 2010

Then and Now

Moments before being wheeling into the OR.

Time is flying by over here on Rockingham. I can't believe that Latham is already three weeks old! We are slowly adjusting to life with three little girls. I have been managing to get some sleep and I have had lots of help - which has made the transition to three so much more manageable.


This is a shot of Latham just minutes after she arrived here in this world. Upon initial inspection - we thought she was the spitting image of Vaughan. But she is changing every day and I think she is looking more and more like Ellery.

So far she has been a good baby - in other words, she sleep for long stretches at night (YIPPEE!). I am just hoping it all lasts.

The girls have been VERY interested in Latham. They constantly want to hold her, touch her, burp her....they are also curious - especially about the details of nursing.

This morning, I snuck away to the nursery to nurse Latham in solitude. It didn't take long for Ellery and Vaughan so sniff me out. In less than three minutes, Vaughan was trying to climb into my lap and Ellery was hovering around my feet. It can be frustrating and sometimes logistically difficult to tend to a newborn with a 2 and 4 year old swarming me like bees swarm honey....but I try to remind myself that these girls are in LOVE with their sister, they are curious and have the best intentions.

I have been enjoying time away from work. It is nice to lazily pass the morning in our pjs, make pancakes, cookies, and banana bread.


It has also been unbearably hot here. So hot that we are unable to venture outside. This has created some challenging moments too. I mean - there are only so many craft projects, cooking projects, dress up games we can play....and the pool is not possible with a newborn and let's not even touch on the thought of squeezing into a swimsuit!

So I am trying my best to remember how lucky I am to have these three precious girls here with me. Before I know it - the older girls will be back in school and I will be nostalgic for the summer. Until then - if you have any good indoor activity ideas - send them my way!

1 comment:

  1. Latham is so cute!! I love seeing the pictures of all of them together. I better watch out, it makes me want #4... As I write this, my boys are preoccupied with legos! Do the girls have legos? You could try that to help keep them busy (may be a little too hard for Vaughan), but then you need to be ready to step on them day and night, too! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete