Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cinnamon...amon...amon...AMEN


I had a roommate in college, Jessica, who obsessed over cinnamon. She loved red hots (the hardish, cheweyish tiny red candies) and she loved hot tamales (sticky pellets that burned your tongue and stuck in your molars). I liked red hots and hot tamales too - after all these were the days when I had a bag of gummy bears for lunch and frozen yogurt for dinner. But Jessica, she loved cinnamon. In a not weird way, she sort of smelled like cinnamon.

Now as much as Jessica liked cinnamon, she obsessed over cinnamon ice cream. Obsessed. I don't remember where she had it, I only remember her talking about it non stop - on end. Her obsession was noted and then duly ignored. I never had the cinnamon ice cream she adored.

But, I also never forgot about the cinnamon ice cream. So, when Alan was gifted with an ice cream maker for Father's Day (thanks Gagi and Pop Pop), I immediately wanted to make cinnamon ice cream.

Believe me, you need to make this. If you don't have an ice cream maker - let me know, I will make some for you. We have made the ice cream twice in the last week - YIKES, this could become a problem.

This recipe is based on a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. We added mini chocolate chips - they add a nice crunch!

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips

  • Add the sugar and half and half to a saucepan and melt together. When the mixture starts to simmer, add half into the beaten eggs. Whisk briskly so that the eggs don't scramble (I think this is called tempering). Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan. Add the the heavy cream and continue cooking, while stirring, over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat and add the cinnamon and vanilla extract. Allow to cool and add to the ice cream maker. Follow the directions for your ice cream maker.


    5-10 minutes before the ice cream is complete in the ice cream maker, add the mini chocolate chips.


    Enjoy!

Post Edit:

Don't forget to check in tomorrow for "Who's that girl." It will be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment