Thursday, July 16, 2009

Out with the old and in with the new


Our old plastic containers

Lately I have been fixated on this issue with plastic. We have all heard it before - chemicals from plastic seep into our food and poison our bodies. (For more on that look here or here.)

Most of you have probably taken some precautions to prevent this - only heat glass in the microwave, make sure you use the BPA free bottles or glass bottles for infants. Quite honestly, in the past I have done the bare minimum in this department - not because I didn't believe what I was hearing - rather, because I really didn't want to be inconvenienced. Yes, I am that lazy.


Our new glass containers

S L O W L Y, very slowly, the McKnights are trying to become less plastic dependent. And so step number one is getting rid of all of those plastic storage containers. I am not sure if this will work or even if this will stick for us -- but at least we are giving it a shot.  What else should I be doing?  Are you using plastic?  Am I neurotic? (that last question was rhetorical)

Are you all curious about tomorrow's post "Who's that girl??" A surprise is in the works....stay tuned.

Oh and some of you are asking, "What is Fredonia Falldown? Why is that the name of your blog?" More on that soon too!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    Congrats on the new blog - so fun! I confess to loving my plastic Ziplock storage containers - they're inexpensive, stack well (taking up very little cabinet space), and very portable (great for bringing dinner to friends).
    I never heat them in the microwave, but I do use them for freezing. I wonder if this is an issue? Where did you find your glass bowls? What are the lids made of? Do they come in different sizes?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree about the plastic and I am impressed!!!
    MK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the glass containers at Crate and Barrel and so far I really like them. However, they are all on the small/medium side and I need some larger ones.

    I read that freezing plastic is ok - the seeping doesn't seem to be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you still are on the fence about plastics -- check out this article in the NY Times Op/Ed:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/16/opinion/16kristof.html?_r=2

    ReplyDelete