Thursday, July 30, 2009

Who's That Guyrl?


These are Ellery's Godfathers - Dirk on the left and Dehan on the right. They are two of Alan's closest friends and they have all grown up together and have known each other for ages (literally - ahem, but who is counting?) I love these guys and luckily so does Ellery. She was in my office on Monday (because she wants to "help me work.") when she spotted a picture of these two and started an entire dialogue about who they are. Of course, not all that she said was accurate but it was certainly indicative of her connection to them both.


This issue of who's that girl is a little different from previous versions in two main ways; (1) these are GUYS not girls (2) they didn't actually answer the questions. I sent the questions to Alan and he offered up his interpretation of how they would/or should answer.




Dirk and Dehan recently traveled to Pamplona, hence the attire. Here is some scoop on Dehan., who is also a Commodore!


Where are you from? Houston, TX by way of Albuquerque, NM


Where do you live now? Denver, CO


What are your parents' names? Carol and George


What do you do? I don’t know; you tell me. Supposedly I work for a family office making “private investments”, but you would be hard pressed to ever find me in the office or even in the state of Colorado. Catch me if you can…


What do you do for fun? I am a big dancer. I have a disco light that I break out on occasion, and when confronted, I will noodle at a Panic show. I also enjoy wearing biking shorts – sometimes for biking and sometimes for fun. More than anything, I like to commune with nature.


What is your favorite book? Atlas Shrugged or any other Ayn Rand book found in the St. Francis Episcopal School Library.


What is our favorite song right now? Arpeggi - Radiohead


When are you coming to visit me (Ellery)? I am a consistent visitor to the McKnight household, unlike my compatriot Mr. Eller. I would also like it if the girls came to Colorado, so I could teach little Elle to ski.


Who is your favorite goddaughter? Ellery is the ONE and ONLY!!!



Here we have Dirk. I have to admit, I have no idea who the other guy in the picture is. Dirk? Want to chime in here?


Introducing Mr. Dirk Eller...


Where are you from? I am originally from Houston, TX, but I now summer in Sweden and winter in San Antonio.


What is your middle name? Gustaf


That is an odd name....where did it come from? My mom was born and raised in Sweden where it is quite common. It is certainly less odd than my uncle’s name which is roughly translated to “Thunder Bear”.


What do you do? I take care of business. That includes at my job at Clear Channel Communications and in my personal life. I think the genesis of my TCB can be related to four key events:



  • My flushing of another child’s lunch box down a toilet at the St. Francis Episcopal School, (Go Wolves!)

  • My daily, childhood “meetings” with the principals, Mr. Bransteder and Mrs. Woolridge, of the St. Francis School,

  • Breaking my arm on the opening kick-off of the opening game of my senior season in football where I was set to be an all-conference guard (yes you read that right), and

  • My friendship with Russell Crowe.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be? I would live in Gotland, Sweden in the summer and Mexia in the winter.


Any advice on how to make tough decisions? Two words – decision tree.


Who is your favorite goddaughter - who lives in Atlanta? ELLERY. I pretend to have another favorite who lives in Dallas and shall remain nameless, but no one can hold a candle to Ellery.


One final question from Ellery...When are you coming to visit? I hope to visit Atlanta in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment