Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lights Out.

Yesterday, just as I was getting the girls settled down for their naps, a strong summer storm rolled through Southampton. I admit the thunder was loud, the trees were blowing ferociously, but I sort of ignored Ellery when she said "I bet the power is going to go out." What does she know - she's only "three and three quarters?"

When it did in fact go out no more than five minutes later, I foolishly assumed it would be back on within an hour. So we went for a drive (to charge our cell phones in the car) around town and stopped at the Rec Center and playground, I assumed upon our return home the lights would be on.

Nope - the lights. were. out.

ALL NIGHT! Mom and I lit every candle in the house and hunkered down in the kitchen. And while having no power sure was inconvenient, it was also nice to not hear the hum of the refrigerator, to not hear the clanking from the dishwasher, to not hear the buzz from the voices on the tv. It was REALLY quiet.

But, we could only look at each other for so long - we felt like we needed to be doing something. So we ventured outside to see what we could see. And when we glanced down the street, we saw darkness. Not a light was lit. And when we glanced down on the sidewalk, we saw some really HUGE slugs. Game on.

Thus began our slug hunting adventures. I will leave out the gory details. Suffice it to say, no fewer than 14 slugs met their demise last night on Hildreth Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment